Just like any continuously working piece of machinery, a furnace is only going to work for so long. The typical furnace lasts anywhere between 15-20 years. Some of today’s models can even last for 20 to 30 years.
Before your furnace fails, the smart thing to do is examine it to anticipate when you will need a replacement. The last thing you want is for your furnace to fail in the dead cold of winter. If you aren’t sure the exact age of your furnace, look for a serial number or installation date. If you know when your house was built, that will also tell you how long your furnace has been around.
If your unit is approaching 15 years of age, it’s time to start thinking about when to replace it. Here are some of the typical signs that it’s time to move on to a new unit:
- If you’re calling your HVAC repair person frequently for small repairs, those repairs are likely to continue to add up. Why spend the money to maintain an old unit when you can invest in a new one?
- If your heating bill is going up despite usage staying the same, it may be a sign that your house isn’t being heated the way it should. If some rooms are hotter or colder than others, there’s probably a problem with your furnace.
- If your furnace is going off and on more than usual that’s also a sign that something could be wrong. If you notice any loud noises or rattles, it’s probably time to call Opie’s.
- If your home is having humidity issues and you notice excessive dust, soot, dirt or rust particles around vents, changing the filter is a great idea. If nothing changes after that, something could be seriously wrong.
- If you see any rust on the outside of the unit, it’s best to have someone investigate it. Cracks or corrosion could mean bigger problems are ahead.
If it’s time to purchase a new furnace based on your current model’s age and condition, we can guide you through the process of choosing a new unit. We’re happy to explain the advantages and drawbacks of the available models to help you make the best decision.
At Opie’s One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating, we will handle the installation from start to finish and prevent problems from happening down the road. We’ll give your furnace the care it needs to have a long and productive life. You’ll have peace of mind knowing you’re in the hands of experts.